The idea of free expression is one that has prevailed in higher education for decades, and North Dakota’s campuses should continue to encourage free expression and debate.
Recently introduced legislation, HB 1503, will protect free expression for students, faculty, and the public on North Dakota’s college campuses by requiring them to adopt free-speech policies that:
• Protect students’ rights to free speech, assembly, and expression.
• Protects the academic freedom and the free speech rights of faculty.
• Promotes involvement of free speech events.
• Bans burdensome restrictions on spontaneous speech.
• Allows institutions to enforce reasonable restrictions while remaining constitutional.
North Dakota’s college campuses should not only uphold free speech but openly encourage free expression and debate.
Urge your lawmaker to fight for free expression on our campuses by supporting HB 1503!